OAB Download Error

I recently completed a migration from Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2016 and after the Exchange 2013 server was uninstalled that’s when the issues with OAB started. I confirmed that all the mailbox databases were set with the Offline Address Book.

I confirmed that the OAB Virtual Directory was set with the correct URL.

I ran the Outlook Test Email AutoConfiguration and noticed that in the output it didn’t have a line for OAB.

It turns out that the Offline Address Book needed to be set for Global Web Distribution.

Now when I check the OAB both the Web Distribution settings have been enabled.

You will need to perform an IISreset for the settings to be applied.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.